Old 11-24-22, 08:53 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,023 Times in 665 Posts
Traditional drop bars

I was able to take a spin with the Super Sport this afternoon, before our Thanksgiving diner. There were less people out then normal, however, riding through the park there were four people around a grill and two more around maybe four or five picnic tables full of condiments. It looks like they were expecting a bunch more people to show up. Not a bad Thanksgiving tradition at least with favorable weather like today. A little closer the original Indians and pilgrims.

For the ride, I installed a traditional drop handlebar from a Fuji. They measure 40.5cm from outside to outside measured at the brake hoods. This is only 2 cm or so more that the Randonneur bars. The bike looks more comfortable with dropped bars (or randonneur) bars than bullhorns. I almost feel like the bike looks like a middle aged guy trying to look younger than he should.

Anyway, I liked the dropped handlebars, however, I have similar handlebars on my Traveler and Le Tour Luxe. I am also wondering if the bullhorn bars might look better without the cable going forward and perhaps it can use "aero" brake levers and route the cable under the bar tape? I don't have aero levers so, I would have to spend more money without knowing if I will like the results. Well, that is just the nature of this type of experimentation. Not that I have the money for aero levers. But I have pictures, imagination and BikeForum members.

No tape or rear brake yet since this handlebars swapping is experimental. Next up will be an upright handlebar that was originally planned for the Lambert.
Likes For Velo Mule: