Old 06-26-20, 12:06 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
I always wanted to but never had the opportunity to cycle on 66. If you go long enough west on 66 (8mi), you will eventually hit 112.
Yes, I didn't have a lot of time before dark so started curving homewards went not too far west of where I'd been before. But this is a "route 66" all of which I could probably manage to ride ;-)

There are a couple of places of interest I would love to come back to at some point. Littleville Dam/Lake is a nice scenic spot if you turn south, and if you turn north, this really obscure locals spot - Old Worthington Rd which leads to a very in-the-middle-of-nowhere Army Corps of Engineers Rd (gravel/MTB). If you follow that north, next to the shallow but swimmable river, you will eventually reach the Chesterfield Gorge. Of course, you could just get there by going on the road.
Sounds tempting. How rugged is the road? Dirt and gravel are fine, I'm not great on obstacles, crosscut water channels or larger loose or embedded rocks though. And I don't do well in slippery mud.

Alas today looks to be the last nice day before a predicted week of rain. If I'd though of this earlier might have tried for it this afternoon, but just invited my nephew to join me in riding the rail trail the other way so may be committed to that.