View Single Post
Old 03-30-20, 08:15 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I’ve been riding tubeless for about 10 years now, starting with tubeless tubulars (Tufo etc..) and now for the last several years with tubeless clinchers.

What I have discovered is that there is no difference in flat performance between the tubulars and the tubeless clinchers. In both cases I get 1 flat in about 5000 or so miles compared to 10 or so in that same mileage. So I think that we’re going to find that tubeless is inherently more reliable than with a tube. I have to say, I really enjoy largely eliminating flats.

The advantage, at least for tubeless clinchers is that if you do get a flat, if you can’t repair it on the spot and on the rim with one of the pluggers, then worst case, you remove the valve from the rim and install a tube.

That then gives all the traditional contingencies such as patching the tube should it fail again or a tire boot for a slashed tire etc...

So based on that, I can find no reason to not switch to tubeless at least for the touring I do. In point of fact, going tubeless probably gives your more contingency/backup that going with a straight tubed setup would. And you also get all the riding benefits of lower rolling weight, better and more supple ride.
good sales job, and I do value people's experience with any new thing. I'm sure I will try it sometime.
re flats, in my riding reality, I get maybe one flat per year, some years no flats. Ride an average of 5000kms per year. Rode all winter this year and touch wood no flats running lowish pressures on old school mtb tires, cheapo clunkers.

From a devils advocate angle, nice feeling tires like the supreme , tubed, have been great for nearly 0 flats during three long heavily loaded tours, same tires, so to me if there aren't thorn issues, this combo works, rides nicely, is robust enough to handle a fair amount of road debris in 7 countries and rough roads galore, so I have less incentive to change knowing I can ride through Latin American countries or a gravelly road in Canada and be okay, touch wood touch wood!

but again, hearing all the clearly positive aspects from many people like you is encouraging, just as it was for me about disc brakes from folks off doing far off tours with them with success.

oh I'd be a bit concerned about below freezing 0c temps and sealant. Would have to learn about that too.