View Single Post
Old 03-28-23, 10:06 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6243 Post(s)
Liked 4,260 Times in 2,387 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Sourcewatch? Never heard of it. If it is anything like the bias at Wikipedia on non-sanctioned topics or issues not in line with Wiki-clique philosophy then I am sure it is just as reliable (like Snopes).

Peer reviewed research? Not the wellspring of unvarnished truth you may think it is.
Yes, sometimes mistakes are made but the only way that mistakes are found and corrected is through the the peer review system. Mistakes are always made in measurements, interpretations, hypotheses, and even just bone-headed stubbornness. Sometimes those mistakes persist, but the only…the only…way that those mistakes are corrected is by people trying to replicate the previous results and publishing their results. Piltdown man? A hoax perpetrated for some reason but it was solved by scientists who thought there was something fishy about it. Cold Fusion? A mistake in measurement and, perhaps, a bit too much hopeful thinking but the only way it was found to be wrong was by other scientist doing testing. There simply isn’t any other way to correct the mistakes. Science and peer review are certainly not “self-destructive”.

Duped? Not likely. I am well aware of the genesis and perpetrators of the environmental movement, something thought up long ago by people you've never heard of. There is a good reason for doing things, then the real reason. You are talking to a guy who has not had a car for 20 years, rides a bike in the frozen hell of Winnipeg and grows most of his own produce, by choice. I love Nature, I just don't buy the climate religion. It makes no sense and I know of the real reason for it.
So I’m sure that you have vast amounts of data to back up your claims. By all means, please tell us the “real reason”.

The founder of Greenpeace had this to say about the environmental movement. He is not alone in his assessments.
He’s not a “founder of Greenpeace” according to Greenpeace

Patrick Moore Did Not Found Greenpeace

Patrick Moore frequently portrays himself as a founder or co-founder of Greenpeace, and many news outlets have repeated this characterization. Although Mr. Moore played a significant role in Greenpeace Canada for several years, he did not found Greenpeace. Phil Cote, Irving Stowe, and Jim Bohlen founded Greenpeace in 1970. Patrick Moore applied for a berth on the Phyllis Cormack in March, 1971 after the organization had already been in existence for a year. A copy of his application letter and Greenpeace’s response are available here (PDF).
And he’s spent 3 decades pedaling anti-environment propaganda for extractive industries. In other words, he’s not all that trustworthy.

​​​​​​​You can enjoy your cricket burger if you want, but not me.
No one is coming after your hamburger. The wonderful thing about us humans is that we can make a meal from just about anything. I’ve had cricket tacos. They aren’t too bad. I’ve had uni (look it up) and really liked it. I enjoy shrimp, crab, and craydads. I eat, and enjoy honey, which is bee puke that is passed from bee to bee to reduce the water content. All of these are part of the phylum Arthropoda of which crickets are just one member. But no one has ever forced me to eat any of these nor, for that matter, have they forced me to eat hamburgers…which I also enjoy.

And I applaud genejockey for saying much the same thing but much more succinctly.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 03-28-23 at 10:13 PM.
Likes For cyccommute: