View Single Post
Old 08-06-20, 11:29 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Over the years I have developed some idiosyncrasies that have no "bearing" on any testing.

For a long time I used Phil's grease on everything, then somewhere along the line I started using Finishline teflon on hub's and Phil's on the areas that take more abuse, at least in my mind; cup/cone bottom brackets (I think I still have one of those), headsets, pedals, and for lubricating threads, and seatposts. There is no rhyme or reason for that, but I have wondered if I should just go back to using Phil's everywhere.

I use Tri-Flow and Phil's oil, depending on the application. Phil's for freewheel and freehub bodies and Tri-flow for everything else.

I know that there will be those that will tout that back in the 30's during the depression we used whatever grease and if it was good enough then it is good enough now so why spend the money? I can buy a lifetime of good grease for less the cost of a single wheelset. It seems like a no-brainer.

John