Old 12-10-21, 12:18 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Morimorimori
I've already done a few 200k-s, and I plan to complete 300k next year. Also had plans for 400k as well, I suspect I'll be able to overcome it, it's just one sleepless night, with may be 1-2h of sleep along the route somewhere.
But starting 600k, it becomes a problem. Riding 2+ nights without proper sleep is too much strain for my body, and I wouldn't risk it.
You have to know your limitations and maybe a 1200k is too much. Many, many randonneurs focus on 200k and 300k distances and rarely go beyond those.

Honestly, a bigger challenge is finding a place logistically where you CAN sleep 8 hours straight on PBP. Usually travel agents will have gobbled up the hotels near controls and that might be a good option. Monday and Tuesday in Loudeac and Wednesday closer to the finish could also be a strategy. Paris to Loudeac is about 445 km and with a Sunday 7 pm start, can you get there by 10 pm (27 hours)? Then sleep til sunrise (6:45 am) and begin the ride to Brest and back, which is sort of like a hilly Double Century but not quite. Sleep again. The last day or so would be a challenge because there is no 8 hour sleep left in that plan. What I am sort of saying, to do PBP with 3 days of riding and 2 nights of 8 hours sleep takes a strong rider with good logistical skills. It is certainly possible