View Single Post
Old 12-24-21, 07:27 PM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Im starting to favor wider tires with lower pressure now (25-28mm with 70-90 psi, maybe even wider and lower as I get used to it). Any reason that’s not practical on a tubular?
Should work great! Though to me these days anything < 28mm is skinny and > 75psi is high pressure. Anyway, I like sewups a lot, my beef is with repair. If you're handier with a needle than I am, or if you find the tedium of repair zen-like and contemplative I totally get it. But it takes me too long, my stitches are always uneven and I never get the base tape back on smooth.

Tubeless can take more damage than sealant in tubes. If you get a puncture the sealant won't fix (and that's going to be a big hole), put a bacon strip in it. If that's not enough, boot it and tube it. This is what happens when you get lazy and say, I'm not going far, I don't need plugs, the chances of a puncture are tiny:

But I rode it 9 miles home -- horrible clattering sound but it didn't lose air. Patched it and 1500 miles later it's still going strong. Of course that's a big (40-622) tough (Vittoria Terreno Dry) heavy (but lighter than Marathons) tire and my 30mm Hutchie Fusion 5s would surely have needed a plug. But even those would shrug off brads and construction staples.
Likes For sincos: