just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Very good news there.

I forget all the details of the thread but I know from experience that impingement and bone to bone rubbing due to arthritis in the shoulder is a relatively simple arthroscopic procedure. There is a shoulder surgeon who wrote a book on this issue......he recommends hanging. I have the book, I'll see if I can find it. Painters are here today and nothing is accessbiel.
Here's the book. I bought the Kindle version on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ICWIUM/
I bought it in 2015 after at least a year of my doctor and a PT messing with my shoulders with no result. Turns out that a lot of time when they "diagnose" a rotator cuff issue w/o getting an MRI, it's not a rotator cuff issue after all, it's impingement and IME hanging is the only way to cure that latter. My shoulder pain was gone maybe a week after I started hanging. I kept up the hanging for a couple years, stopped, and the pain has never returned. It's weird that docs and PTs don't know about this.

The OP said he tried hanging and it was extremely painful. That might indicate a valid tear somewhere - or maybe not. When one first tries it, it's quite a sensation having all that stress put on shoulder muscles which have been perhaps dormant. There was a world class powerlifter at our gym back then. He'd carry huge weights around in his hands to strengthen his grip. I suggested hanging instead. He tried it but couldn't do it, didn't say why. It's not all that easy to hang for a minute and repeat. The book thinks you should get special gloves with hooks in them so you don't have to use your hands, but as a person who believe stronger is better, I just hung by my hands and they got stronger. It was fun to be able to play on the monkey bars again.

The question not answered by the OP's docs is . . .wait for it . . .what is the diagnosis? Getting a doctor to actually diagnose something instead of guessing at it, based on their perhaps flawed experience, is something which I've found very difficult. They just don't want to do it. They'll give opinions just fine, but an opinion is not a diagnosis. Why? Because diagnosis costs time and money and as doctors have straight up told me, their time is more valuable than ours. So they guess. Drives me nuts, because a wrong guess is harmful, not helpful. This thread is now over 2 months old, no diagnosis as I understand it.

I really don't think that osteo would cause pain when hanging. Doesn't make any sense.

Here are a couple of orthos saying that hanging also fixes rotator cuff issues. I hadn't heard that before:

As an aid for the OP's own guessing, google "shoulder impingement symptoms." Besides the usual stuff they say, IME it gets painful to sleep on one's side and raising one's arms particularly after getting out of bed is especially painful.

For the rotator cuff hypothesis, google "rotator cuff tear symptoms" and then "rotator cuff tear test at home." The symptoms of a tear and impingement are very similar but the test won't generate pain in case of impingement..