View Single Post
Old 07-03-22, 10:20 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Well, here is the straight scoop I got: I had rotator cuff surgery in early January for a full, large tear. Six weeks in a sling, and at the 7th week I fell at 2 AM (I was half asleep!). I re-tore the whole thing! So in mid-March I had the surgery all over again except this time he had to do an open surgery rather than arthroscopically. AFter the same 6-7 weeks in a sling, basically 24/7, I started more intensive PT. The doc, the PT, and the PA explained that because I was dealing in a re-tear situation, coupled with my age (76), it could be 16 weeks before riding my bike on a trainer. No outside riding until at least the 6 month mark (prior to that, if I had a crash and landed on the repaired shoulder I could do extensive damage).

Now that I'm at 14 weeks post-surgery, I've improved immensely with great strides in terms of range of motion. BUT, certain movements do cause some pain. I was told very clearly that at this juncture I'm at about 40% strength in the repaired arm shoulder.

I really, REALLY miss my 5 days per week cycling (14-15 miles each ride), but I will get back to it and am being very patient and sticking to the plan. I am finally allowed to us 1 or 2 lb. weights for certain exercises, e.g. bicep curls.

Sorry for the long note.

Best regards

Last edited by flan48; 07-04-22 at 07:21 AM.
Likes For flan48: