Old 08-16-22, 07:50 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
When a car is bearing down on me, I do prefer to stay out of its way. What do you do?
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I was honked at on Thursday. What did I do? What I normally do: held my line, took the lane and when I had passed all the parked cars, moved over to the right about a metre from the curb.
In other words, you did exactly as I would've: when it was safe to do so, you got out of the car's way.

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I wouldn't have done anything differently with a Varia beeping at me.
You seem to have personified the Varia, accusing it of "bullying" on behalf of motorists...Which is odd. It's just a device that alerts a rider to a vehicle's presence, so that the rider can do EXACTLY what you do: get (or stay) out of the vehicle's way.

This may surprise you, but some riders are in different conditions than yours. I spend LOTS of time riding on quiet country roads, many of them unpaved. On gravel roads, the best line (smoothest, less potholed, etc) is often NOT on the right shoulder...In fact, sometimes its on the left side of the road. The Varia is pretty handy for alerting me when a vehicle comes up behind me. In the sort of situation you seem to be describing -- urban riding with lots of traffic -- I rarely bother to use it, since cars come up behind me all the time. I just ride as you do.