View Single Post
Old 09-22-22, 06:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
I disagree with the claim of a 1 3/3" steerer. Where the tape (a poor way to measure diameter without wrapping it around the cylinder) is placed only tries to show the crown race seats' diameter below the step that the crown race is pressed on. Which is larger than the steerer is by a bunch. Now one could unthread the headsets lock (top) nut and again try to measure the now exposed threads. A cool trick if one has no calipers it to wrap a strip of paper around the cylinder (steerer) and mark off one circumference. Divide by 3.14 for the diameter. Much less error induced by parallax or poor technique.

Most likely being an AL frame this has a 1.125" steerer with a 30.0 crown seat milling. The bottom of this crown seat ring (which is welded onto the fork) will be a bit larger, 1.375" would be about what I would expect.

As to "odd ball size"- I think you should do a bit more homework on terms and what you reference when you write. The size of the balls in the headset have nearly nothing to do with steerer diameters. Andy