Old 01-14-23, 07:18 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
That's precisely why I adopted the "middle way" of checking the torque that I described a few posts up. Use the torque wrench to check if the bolt is seriously loose, but if it's not, don't keep retorquing the full amount, since that can damage the crank.
Yep that's basically what I do too. Check it's snug. Not trying to drive it on further but just hand right down by the socket on the wrench give it a little push. For 5 rides maybe.
1/20 maybe require this. I also frequently see this failure happen on other people's bikes. Correct installation with attention to cleaning the surfaces, light grease, and adequate torque is the main thing.

I think the reason this advice isn't mainstream is that it isn't viable for a bike shop to do or to instruct. I've lent a wrench out to people that i've rebuilt bikes for with these instructions but it's very tiresome giving customers any instructions or chores unless they're both your friend and a nerd. I'll try to test ride bikes i rebuild a few times to do this but riding the very small ones sucks.
Likes For Soody: