Old 01-14-23, 11:01 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
It wasn't until eBay where I have purchased some crank arms that loosened, and one that cracked open around the taper.

I sort of attribute this to the adage: You get what you pay for.

However, I have bikes with used cranks from eBay on them, mostly White Industries, that I ride hard on a regular basis.

Anyway, used stuff, and pre-owned, is a bit of crap shoot.

That said, until I bought cranks on eBay, I was in the install them tight, and after a ride or two only snug up the crank bolts until they stay on (below threshold) thereafter, using only a 7" long spanner (Park tool).

This is how I was taught from an old Schwinn bikes shop when I was a kid. I never questioned it.

The paradigm seemed to be that the crank bolt wrench handle length would prevent over-torque.

[ I was at the same time told not to grease the tapers.]

Then one day I had the experience of a creak that wouldn't go away, and as a last resort I retorqued the cranks, and voila, the creak went away. It was a single speed.

At the moment I am lost in the fog on the matter. After some recent related experience with PF30 bottom brackets I have become a firm believer in torque wrench usage.

Love square taper stuff as much as I love 27.2 seat tubes.

I'm no expert on this matter. This is my experience.