View Single Post
Old 12-03-20, 03:50 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have not needed to carry bear safe containers or otherwise prepare for bears on any of the bike tours that I have done. But I have on canoe, kayak, and backpacking trips.......But do not assume you can find a good bear tree at every campsite, I often can't. But rodents, chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons are more likely to be a problem.
Same here. I did once do a poor hang in the NY Adirondacks, and we got cleaned out completely and had to hike out. Mrs Kaos was not pleased with me. A ranger later told us that there was a sow black bear in that exact area (nicknamed "Thelma") which he described as a "genius", to which she contrasted her husband.

The little critters are probably more of an issue. This guy was quite brazen and as you can see no place to do a hang. He ran off with a ziplock but dropped it when we gave chase. He never gave up and we had to stay vigilant until we moved on.

Marvin the marmot

He LOOKS guilty
Likes For kaos joe: