View Single Post
Old 09-27-22, 10:30 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Even if we stick to just pure road bikes, seat height vs the ground can vary quite a bit with the exact same leg extension. BB heights vary. I've had bikes with BBs from 10-3/8" off the ground to a full 11". Pedals and their spindle centerline to top of platform vary quite a bit. So does stack height of cleats if used. Shoe sole design.

I have a bike now with a very low BB (old Raleigh Competition that I would NEVER make a fix gear!) A joy to ride in the city because stops are so easy. I also modified those shoes with additional sole around the cleats for good walking and no marring of expensive floors. My custom road fix gear and a mid '80s Miyata race bike; both with ~10 7/8" BBs and ridden with race-style shoes and cleats. Get reminded every time I ride them that at slow speeds and lights, the seat is a long ways up.

I ride all those bikes with the same crank lengths and knee bend. First stop when moving to one of my high BB bikes is a re-calibration.
Likes For 79pmooney: