carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Free Range
San Francisco Mission Bike - great components

So I'm looking for a commuter, 10 miles round trip to work maybe some longer rides for exercise a couple times a week.
No.

And don't believe that Competitive Cycling-esq bull**** in the ad. It's a bad beater bike made from crap that people would normally throw away.

Kickass single speed, built in the Mission in S.F. (where bikes are built to ride strong but look like **** so they don't get stolen) by a mechanic who went on to wrench for the Olympic Cycling Team in Colorado Springs.

Vintage Raleigh lugged frame set (likely Technium), I would say it's a 58cm (I'm just 6' and fits me great). Bike has lots of tasty bits throughout:

Cinelli bars, Specialized S-Works crankset, DKG Strongarm Brake Bridge (by the guy who invented the brake booster - DKG CNC Machine Shop Home Page), powerful cantilever brakes (not sure brand), chain in good shape, front rim is SunRingle ME14A (worth $50 on its own), Shimano Deore XT Parallax 110 fron hub with Shimano XT quick-release skewer, good condition Vittoria Randonneur Pro high-performance city trekking tires, cool comfy and light Schwinn seat. !!!

This bike looks rough on purpose, but is fine underneath. Hell, take it to Groody Bros, have it blasted and painted, and it's a gold mine. The components that went into this bike more than justify the price - first $300 takes it.
You couldn't pay me to own that bike.