Thread: Heavy Duty
View Single Post
Old 10-19-14, 04:00 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Robinsallen2
My husband is getting ready to retire. I had two very good beach bikes I bought in 1984 from a bike shop that were wonderful until we had to finally give them up a couple years ago because the cost to fix outweighed the worth. Now I wish we would have kept them. He bought me an inexpensive bike from Kmart and I have never liked the ride which is hard to know by sitting on it in a department store. It started squeaking, the tire rim started rubbing on the medal and its already started rusting. We want a solid no speed, resistance to rust and humidity since we live at the beach. We will be keeping them inside this time especially if we spend more money. We need big comfy seats, baskets and a smooth solid ride. We would like to ride everyday. He has had some spine surgery so riding the bike is actually easier than walking. Do men ever buy womens bikes to be able to get on and off easier?
I will still recommend visiting a Trek dealer and looking over a Pure S, which has a nice drop in the top bar that might help, is not a heavy bike and is well built in my opinion. It comes in a multi-speed version as well and the best part is that you are getting a brand new bike with support and warranty, 26" rims that my LBS says will likely take fatter tires (probably standard 26 x 2.125 inches, with knobby treads), and they have a range of attractive color options as well. The should take a full compliment of baskets/racks as well.

I know I sound like a cross between a broken record and a Trek salesman (which I'm not) but I just love the bike and wish I had one. I own a Schwinn middleweight (Centennial single speed model) and a circa 50s or early sixties full size Rollfast, and I had a third (Western Flyer) that was stolen...I prefer single speeds hands down. I also favor a big, comfy seat over suspension.

Like your husband I too have a fussy back, am what we call a Clydesdale ( I am 250 or so and about 5' 8") and not such a walker...bikes are fast and fun transportation for me! My Schwinn middle has handled me without frame breakage although I can be hard on spokes and rims...and bearings I had to cross brace at the crank on my Rollfast but it strengthened and saved my frame.

Last edited by Rollfast; 10-19-14 at 04:04 AM.