View Single Post
Old 12-12-20, 05:28 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Good question about the benefit of aero helmet vs. cost. Our shop did some real world testing of aero helmets. We found, regardless of brand or model, the aero helmet provided zero benefit in a 15 mile time trial. Aero wheels made a very big difference on the same course and it was determined that after one invests in wheels, then the other stuff like aero helmet, skin suit, etc. are next. Wheels should be first on the aero list for easily recognized gains.
Interesting comment as I've often heard wheels and helmet are equivalent benefits. I needed wheels anyways, so went with aero wheels (Syncros Capital 1.0 50 Disc) and noticed no difference between those and the carbon gravel wheels that came on my bike. Not scientific testing, but over many rides, speed seemed about the same. This is on 25-30 mile rides at somewhere between 19.5-20mph average ride speed. Only other consideration is I got the wheels as the weather got colder so not sure if air/temp difference perhaps counteracted the aero benefits.