Old 09-16-21, 11:00 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by scubaman
I’ve used Jones bars on my fat bike, and for several conversions of 1990s MTB frames into gravel bikes that I’ve built for myself and friends. I used the 2.5 bars on the conversions to increase rise, which worked really well. The extra rise is the only difference between 2.5 and standard Jones bars (besides a few grams). If you know you need more rise, I recommend these - then you still have the option of using a steeper stem for yet more rise if it turns out you want/need that.

I personally prefer Jones bars to standard flat bars because the backsweep is much more comfortable for me, especially when I’m standing, plus there are multiple hand positions.

At the risk of going down a rabbit hole, I’ve found the handlebar comparison tool at https://whatbars.com/ to be helpful.
Thanks for the info! I don't necessarily need as much rise as the 2.5 offers, but having the option would be nice. I have a box of stems here I can play with. Ultimately, I prefer drops overall, but I have another drop bar bike and I like to have different bars going in the quiver for variety. I'm just wondering if there's a position on the Jones that kinda feels like being on the hoods (obviously w/o that wrist rotation). I guess stem length will factor into that. I will check out the link!