View Single Post
Old 09-12-22, 03:19 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 179 Posts
Currently, my mini velo is setup as a flat bar gravel bike.

I recently expressed some interests into British hill climb races (10 to 12% hills) and I am thinking I could convert the minivelo for than purpose. While the UCI weight restriction of 6.8kg does not apply and might be an ambitious target, I think the smooth hound weight winny could be and interesting build for hill climb.
The hammerhead was ~8.5kg so, if I swap the current wheelset for the kinetix pro of my helios, I should get something similar to the hammerhead.

Then, drop bar vs flat, I don't their is much weight difference there although I could may be fit a 40mm ritchey carbon bar... but it might not be in the budget.
Seatpost would be converted to a carbon component (spare from the "big bike")
crankset, I am looking into a praxis carbon or Force1 crankset... 1x as this is all you need for hill climbs and weight saving. Chainring, I have 2 spare Sram narrow wide in 42T and 50T (in the UK, std 700c bikes tend to use 34T XC narrow wide ring in hill climb). So 42T or 50T would work well with 406 wheel and would give me cassette choice. ideally, 42T with 11-32T.

Brake, it is rim brake but, what is lighter calipers or mini brake?

Tyres, there is only 30g difference between schwalbe 28-406 and 35-406 so I don't believe 60g would be advantageous vs added traction and comfort the 35c would offer.

Any thoughts? where else can weight be saved?