Old 02-02-23, 12:09 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Toronto 311 request for a bike lane

The City of Toronto has a 311 website in which someone can place requests to fix problems like potholes, fallen trees or remove abandoned bicycles locked to public property.

When I found a category for requesting reserved lanes like bus or bike lanes, I placed a request to have a bike lane installed on a major 60km/hr six lane thoroughfare just outside my neighbourhood. A lot of cars go close to 70km/hr.

2km in one direction is to my dentist at the closest shopping centre. In that direction, I have to cross two highway on ramps. Cyclists have to change lanes twice in front of motorists going 60 to 70 km/hr. Pedestrians have to stretch their necks out to look for traffic because they don't have a clear line of sight of cars coming off the highways and where they cross, they have a hard time seeing cars coming off the street onto the ramp. (The pedestrian crossing is located so the distance to cross is the shortest. But it's around a bend so motorists can't see pedestrians until they are already entering the on ramp.)

In the other direction, it's also 2km to my barber but there are no shoulders on the side to give cyclists any sense on clearance. So we really have to have guts to take the lane and hope nobody close passes at 70km/hr.

When I placed the request, the auto reply said that reserved lane requests usually take 9 months for review and that they need Council approved.

I was surprised that this morning I had received the status update stating the request was completed and closed and action will be taken October 28, 2023.

It would probably too good to be true if the bike lane request had already been approved and the bike lane installed October of this year. I suppose that's the time frame for Toronto city council and planners to review my request.

In Google Maps, search for 'DVP and Lawrence'.

And yes, I do have a route through the park trail to get to my dentist.

Last edited by Daniel4; 03-29-23 at 08:54 PM.
Likes For Daniel4: