View Single Post
Old 02-08-23, 10:15 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
It'll take a long time but people will come around. I don't get pushed as often as I used to when I come out or enter my neighbourhood street. I think my rear camera plays a big factor plus the fact that there are markers on the road with a bicycle icon on them.

Downtown Toronto used to be hostile to cyclists. With the installation of bike lanes all over downtown since Rob Ford made his statement about cyclists being in a sea of sharks, a lot of drivers take greater care not to block bike lanes when they enter a street.

Since the Eglinton bike lane had opened up I've been using it to get to Yonge St. The Eglinton bike lane ends at Brentcliffe but I continue on. I haven't seen a lot of cyclists on it. I also haven't seen a lot of pedestrians on the Eglinton sidewalk either but nobody ever suggests to remove sidewalks when nobody is seen on them.

The email I received back from the city states "The City's Cycling Network Plan states that every street in Toronto should be considered for bikeways or cycling upgrades." And then the next sentence starts talking about Lawrence Avenue. So I expect that when she said "..in Toronto.." that meant metro Toronto. In my mind that would include North-South streets like Bayview, Leslie, Don Mills, Victoria PK, Pharmacy, Warden, Kennedy, etc.

We'll see how it goes. Baby steps. I've been in Toronto for 37 years now. I have ridden around when there were no bike lanes anywhere. We've come a long way since Rob Ford.