Old 10-03-23, 08:22 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Last night a couple 19 tooth 1/8" track cogs arrived in the mail. I went downstairs, stuck the Rudge Clubman in the stand, took off the rear wheel and mounted the cog, snugged it down, then the lockring.
I took a ~14 mile ride this evening on the Clubman as a fixed gear.
Lately I have been having these moments of near-childish joy from riding, or grabbing my Pentax MX with 50mm lens, or picking up a live cicada. It was a blast to ride the Clubman as a fixed gear. I haven't ridden a fixed gear for myself since 2009. This is actually the most I've ridden the Clubman, even more than with the 16/20 freewheel. It's like rediscovering a bit of the real fun of riding. This bike has me so connected; the gear ratio is good, the chain slack is just enough to allow smooth rotation, but also perfect for track standing. I did a good minute trackstand waiting for a traffic light to turn on my way to the Schuylkill path. It's just so much fun. My legs feel a little more like noodles than they usually do, but that's good. Knees don't hurt, everything feels good.
Here's a photo of the Rudge Clubman just before East Falls.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/545...031023Ride.JPG