DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
My Pearl Izumi Convertible Jacket works great from 60F down to the mid-30F range. I have a selection of base layers to use with it, and it's a great vest with the sleeves zipped off.
If we're both talking about the ELITE Barrier Convertible jacket, then ten thumbs up. Fantastic.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I was always curious about vests... You hear from some that when it gets cooler, riders put on arm warmers. Yet the vest advocates are obviously inverting the part of the body they want to keep warm. I would think extremities need the insulation moreso than the trunk of the body, but curious to others' thoughts.
An insulated core is far more important than insulated forearms. I made a mountain descent last winter without a vest (just a lined jersey,) where wind chill would have put the average temperature at 28-29ºF. It actually started to chill my core, and my HR dropped almost 20 beats. I didn't stop shivering for over 30 minutes after getting home. With good windproof gloves and a vest, I can ride in mid-30º temps in short sleeves.