View Single Post
Old 01-30-23, 11:42 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
The switch was the on/off on my Haibike (it also had all the functions including PAS incorporated). The nearest Haibike dealer according to their site was in Iceland since they had left the US (AFAICT) at the time. Fortunately, my local Yamaha dealer had a similar unit. I used the Bafang DIY conversion for almost seven years in pretty severe off road conditions, then my son wanted it, and he rides it almost daily. It has never needed maintenance nor ever failed. It's easy to call me a liar online, something I doubt you'd do to my face.
I will admit whatever company is doing the Raleigh Haibike stuff is pretty bad at customer service but that was kind of unique because they got rid of a lot of warranty support folks as they transitioned and either moved them around or got rid of them entirely and it eventually turned into just one or two people and I don't know it was a main job for them. That is why I wouldn't recommend stuff from them. Their old currie tech stuff was crap and their usage of Brose left would have been fine if they had allowed the mechanics to design the motor area so there was room for the cables instead of crushing them up again the motor in a tiny space.

I would question the no maintenance thing to your face (though not in an aggressive way I don't want to sound aggressive here), I am not trying to call you a liar though I don't want to use harsher language but to not maintain a bike for 7 years and it still be fine just doesn't seem feasible for anyone in the real world. I mean maybe on a single speed cruiser with really high quality sealed bearings and a belt drive with the best quality coaster brake or drum brake or something, maybe wouldn't change.

I do remember on those mid-drive units from Bafang we would tighten them with some frequency as they could work loose and cause havoc in some bikes. Yes we did use thread locking compounds and that helps but we had a few that could work themselves loose under proper torque with thread locking compounds and a mechanic who knew his stuff.