queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
You are a much different (and better) rider than me, but I did the same the season I went to 165mm. I put 165mm cranks on my road bike and rode it that winter and spring then raced 165mm on my track bike that summer. My pedaling was sooo dialed that season. I recall averaging 110 RPM on a short road ride once...averaging. Hills will suck on the road, but your pedal stroke will achieve so many gains.
I'm looking forward to it. I wasn't sure what leverage difference I'd feel on the road. I did feel some of it when torqueing up steep hills.

What matters most though is that I feel like when I'm getting low and forward - in a flat-armed hoods position, an aggressive aero position - I can generate more power over the top of my pedal stroke. I can feel my hip more open.

Changing 5mm on cranks means that I boost my saddle 5mm to keep my bottom-of-stroke knee angle consistent, but at the top of the pedal stroke my pedal is 10mm lower than compared to how it is with 170mm cranks - that's a lot of extra hip angle. Hoping to see that expressed in power in the aero position!