View Single Post
Old 03-02-21, 05:40 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Tires are taped and pumped up to 120psi and the bike's currently hanging on the wall. Hoping to find some Newbaum's somewhere local tomorrow so I can finish everything up.

Last night I pulled the old GdI bar out and installed the waiting CdM, so now the mechanical swaps are complete with the exception of the aforementioned tape.

Today I took the Dremel and a stainless steel (thought I'd gotten brass, but this probably worked better) brush and went to town. This is what they looked like when I started:

Using setting 3 of 10 (unfortunately my Dremel doesn't go to 11) it was short work to remove the existing crud without turning it into a melting, sticky mass:

Once done I cleaned off both wheels of residual dust, then began laying down the tape; I added the little reminders in case the tires are a ***** to remove when the time comes:

It took about an hour to get both tires centered decently, and both still display a bit of a high spot at the valve/rim interface. Don't know if it'll be noticeable from the saddle. I did have a bit of a scare when one of the backing tapes split in half lengthwise while pulling it out once I was satisfied with the tire's placement! Fixed that by deflating the tire, pulling at the tire at the non-taped spot and snagging hold of the edge of the stubborn bit of backing tape. Once I got it partway out, I pumped up the tire, tweaked the centering one more time and then pulled the remainder of the tape out. Whew!

If I can get the bars taped before I head to AZ - and get a dry afternoon - I think I'll be able to get a test ride in. We'll see

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 03-02-21 at 10:15 PM.
Likes For Drillium Dude: