Thread: Keeper?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-21, 07:50 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Tape is finally here

And because I am planning on keeping this (duh - why else would I be making it road-worthy, right?), I've decided to make one last substitution. Took the CdM bar from the stem/bar combo removed from the Medici and will use it to replace the GdI bar on the Alpina. I prefer the CdM shape - and deeper drop aesthetic - and this one is about 1cm wider to boot. But. I have used up my stash of old-school Velox tape and have to order something with which to cover the bars. I'm leaving for Phoenix in a few days so ordering won't work as the stuff will deliver while I'm away, so I'll have a look 'round the shops in AZ.

Hit a snag this weekend: the nylon wheel I picked up to remove the old glue doesn't do anything at all! Could be that it's not abrasive enough, but more likely is that my cordless drill doesn't have the speed/torque necessary to do the job? Anyway, any suggestions for an effective solvent? Figure I'll do them outside if I go that way.

Anyway, that's the update for now. Going a little slowly, but at least I have all the stuff to get the tires stuck on - once I have a clean surface to stick them to

DD
I read a reference to using a butter knife. It worked well.