View Single Post
Old 03-03-21, 10:10 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Rode down to Wright Bros. Cycles to pick up the bar tape this morning and got back with plenty of time to tape the bars, reinstall and adjust the brakes and then get out for a hard 20 miles - once I gained a bit of confidence in the tires!

Picked up 4 rolls of tape, then stopped for about 30 minutes at the Union Bay Natural Area to look around:

Once I was home and the Alpina was road-ready, it was off for the test ride:

I decided to add one more little bit of blue flair:

One of the better on-the-go shots I've gotten, and this time I only had to shoot once!

I have to admit, the HF hubs are freakin' gorgeous and I'm pretty happy to have them on this bike:

Shadow-selfie:

Shiny money shot:

The New Stuff:

Too early to give a final verdict on the tires. I used 120psi front and rear - the same I use with the Vittoria open tubular clinchers. The ride is very similar, although the rear felt a might bit squishier and both front and rear handled root-bumps with a fraction more aplomb - it was noticeable, but just. Very good control, and they change direction/transition into a turn about as fast as my other 25mm clincher set did (also Challenge Elites). I didn't rail anything hard - I just didn't have the confidence yet. One thing I'll say was that I was not worried at all about puncturing as even on the clinchers all my last 4 flats have been caused by internal issues with the valve or failures at spoke wells. I did note that when I stood up and pushed I could detect a funny sound from the front wheel - very likely the tape/tire interface. It sounded almost like I was running over tiny bits of gravel - I wondered it the wheel was perhaps releasing tension? I'm going to keep an ear out, see if I can't figure out what's causing the noise.

I liked the ride, and mainly because it was just over the top of being on a par with my favorite clinchers. I know the ride is a bit cushier because of tire/rim design, but it's minimal if I'm being totally honest. Regardless, this bike will stay a dedicated tubular bike and will be seeing a lot of miles this summer. After a few familiarization rides I will slowly increase the pressure and see what kinds of feedback I get from these elevated pressures.

The position felt right straight away, but I could probably do with putting a 120mm stem in there to give me a little more reach. Something to ponder...

I hope for another ride tomorrow at 125psi but it's supposed to rain

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 03-03-21 at 10:20 PM.