View Single Post
Old 07-01-22, 02:10 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by msalvetti
There is a LBS close to me that I value for nostalgia - it's where my parents bought me my first new bike around 1973, and they have serviced my old hybrid. But they are pretty small, and when I went looking for the bike that I thought would fit (a Trek FX Sport 4) they had no idea if/when they would get one, nor did they offer to order for me.

So I went to a much larger shop, and they told me they expected the bike in about 6 months (this was August 2021). I bought it from them in March 2022 ($2,200). Pretty much got nothing extra. I got an eyeball fit from the experienced salesperson ("Gee, that looks spot-on"), a test ride around the neighborhood, and a free check after 30 days.

No discount on accessories (I bought two bottle cages, fenders, a seat bag, a bar-end mirror, and a spare tube). They gave me the four little threaded tabs to mount the fenders. Needed pedals but they didn't have much in stock so got those on Amazon.

I'll have to pay for the next service. Their shop rate is $180/hr.

Mark
at $180 per hour labor rate - this thread could also qualify for the 'planned obsolescence' thread