View Single Post
Old 09-03-21, 07:54 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Years ago, my brother and I toured from Munich to Barcelona (and took in some stages of the Tour de France). I think it was day 4 we were riding over an Alpine pass from Germany to Austria. The climb up the pass was pretty gentle but it was raining. We got to the top and there was a sign just before the descent that said "no bikes." My brother got out the maps and looked for an alternate route but I think anything else would require going back down quite a bit and would add 3-5 hours to the riding that day. As we were discussing what to do, a roadie went by and bombed down the descent. So we said, "F* it, we're going down!" My hands were cramping up so bad during that descent from braking that we had to take a couple of breaks in the runaway ramps. And I was probably saying "F* it" all the way down. Luckily we had both put Koolstop Salmon brake pads on the bikes before that tour.