View Single Post
Old 04-04-20, 12:34 PM
clrobnsn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding for ~1week & ~100 miles.

[QUOTE=Barry2;21247051]Just wonder if anyone is actually using the Wahoo Kickr Bike?
What are your impressions?

Good:
  1. Setup was easy enough. Bike is heavy!
  2. App to take a photo of your exiting bike to get the setup / size right is cute/convenient.
  3. Integration with 'apps' is easy - almost too easy. I opened zwift and it was ~ready.
  4. Has a nice feel in terms of the flex and motion of the bike. It rocks around as you move - but in a natural way that still feels stable. Essentially - it allows for all that movement you thought you were damaging your bike frame with on a 'rear wheel' trainer.
  5. Shifting works well. Ability to choose how it shifts is great - b/c SRAM is the best
  6. Up/down hill incline stuff is fun.
  7. Quiet enough to watch TV (You fan will be louder). Not as quiet as a peleton though.
  8. ERG mode - have not tried it yet - but will be great for intervals.
Bad:
  1. Handle bars + tape are garbage. Maybe the tape is good for lots of sweat - but all in all they are uncomfortable. Literally anything 'aero' or 'ergonomic' for <$50 would be better. And tape is not expensive. I expect you can swap.
  2. There is nowhere to hang / balance whatever a phone or 'whatever device you control your workouts from'. You need to buy a mount of some sort - or have a table nearby. DCRainmakers tablet holder that he rides outdoors in the review is great.
  3. I feel some 'slipping' when starting - like you are on fine sand on a small bike and accelerate fast and you can get the rear wheel to slip. Not an issue in general since you are mostly at steady state and not starting/stopping- but it's certainly not like 'real' riding' and I sometimes feel it when standing up. I am not bothered by this, but see my comment in the 'in-between' section.
In-between / feature request:
  1. I bought this with the hopes that my girlfriend could do her spin classes on it too. However, this is so different from a spin bike which is essentially a 'fixie' that the flywheel / "I am pedaling so fast because Kimmy the spin instructor seriously wants me to do 115rpm and now I can't stop" effect is lost. It's just like a normal bike. So, we (bikers) can say what you want - but I just bought a $3.5k bike with the promise that she can also use it - but she thinks is terrible (which it is for spin class). So - the feature request : (1) Make a 'fixie' mode and (2) eliminate the slipping mentioned above.

Anything stand out that might force a Gen 2 bike early next year?
No. But I would like in general to see:
Hardware wise: Better handlebars & tape.
Software: Fixie mode for spin classes.

Has Wahoo upgraded or replaced parts?
No

I'm looking to buy one quickly for use in this cold/wet season. But being such a major expense I'm concerned over it being a recently released product.
I have not had an issue yet that speaks to hardware quality.

But my general comment is:
I used to ride a wind resistance trainer (circa 2005). I jumped on this and after riding a few times thought "what was I expecting - its basically a trainer". My use case has quickly become - ride while watching Netflix. So, I actually find some of the hills and power variation on Zwift a pain and just use the Wahoo app. It is convenient not having a janky bike and not having to switch a bike out for my girlfriend is nice.
So - I would say - think about getting this if it fits your 'lifestyle' (more than 'if you need it for training'):
Lifestyle: Don't want to swap bikes. Clean enough to 'have inside'. Want to do the up/down/Zwift style riding. Can afford the extra cost - b/c yes you are 'overpaying' - but its just the price to pay right now for those features.
'What you need for training': a 20min interval is pain regardless of what you ride on.

Of course I stand to be corrected when I actually use this 'for training' - so happy to update this in a few months

c