View Single Post
Old 03-26-24, 10:43 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I found a flaw with my pump. It has a hose which I screw onto the valve stem. Nowadays, some brand new tubes have valve cores which are not screwed in tightly. I was commuting to work and got a flat, changed the tube, and every time I removed the hose, the valve core came out. I guess I'll check all my tubes before I put them in my tool bag, but I'm not happy about this. I ended up getting back on my route by flagging down a cyclist and using his pump, the kind you just push on and pull off.
Last season, or maybe two seasons ago, my riding partner unscrewed his valve core like that. It was cold, getting dark, and we a ways from the finish of a 400k brevet. Fortunately I had a valve tool and my Road Morph with clamp on head.

I have enough to do while prepping for rides; I don't need to add checking valve core tightness to my checklist.

Every time I see one of these threads I think maybe there's an upgrade from my ancient Road Morph. Other than adding a gauge with a G, I'm not seeing it. Must-haves to me are a hose, clamp-on head, and base that allows pumping against the ground. Frame mount means it's always there; again I don't need another checklist item.

I did a rainy 600k around the Olympic Peninsula a few years ago, and afterwards found the pump was full of water. By rainy I mean pretty much 600km of rain. What a slog. Since then I've kept a piece of tape over the head.