Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 01-04-06, 12:12 PM
wildjim

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by USAZorro
As with many things, there are many ways of preparing and mounting tubular tires that will work fine. I employ a stretching technique, and others don't. I'm not saying this is the right way to do it, but it works for me.

From my somewhat limited experience, I've found that some models of tires are tighter than others. There's no way that I'd have been able to mount the batch of Futurox tires I've gotten without stretching them first. The way I do it follows the advice I was given by a real old-timer (a former six-day racer). I put some air in the tires (minimal pressure) and let them sit for a few days. Then, I deflate, and put them on a wheel that I'm not using, and pump them to about 40 psi. Then I hang the wheel up. The tire will subsequently lose air over time, and this is ok. Nothing bad comes of this. Think about it, the higher pressure on the tire after it gets mounted will press on all directions, holding the tire more firmly against the rim.

What are the advantages of this? Well, by "stretching" the tires, I've trained them to live with the stem pointing in, and I've ensured that I can improve my vocabulary when the time comes to actually install them. I don't have a long record of success, but I can say, "so far, so good".
I've read and it makes sense that you should not inflate a tubular tire unless it's on a wheel as the case may be damaged because it has nothing to compress against and will stretch and tear the casing.

I guess everyone does have their way of doing things; but it must require at least three days before you can mount the tire with your procedure or you have a lot of tires being prepared in waiting.

As for me I put the tire on immediately and only have a few spares; mostly because I buy a few at a time if the deal is right.

All the tubular tires I've ever used mounted on the wheel with the stem pointing down properly. No training required. . .