View Single Post
Old 08-25-21, 03:03 PM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Did you ride around with all that to see how it handled/if it would hold it on a ride? Or did you just load it up for a static test sitting still?

I have one of the darker blue jugs I have been using for water on trips (vehicular travel, camping, etc) for years. They are nice to have. I am working on some trailer ideas for bike touring also and have been eyeballing that jug also. What I have done before is use 32oz nalgene bottles and the 1gal jugs from Dollar General (I like that style plastic bottle - the handle loop is sturdy and can be tied off and looped over gear on the rear rack). However, if I can get all my water confined to a larger jug that would be good - longer period between resupply.
I can ride it like that. But I don't have to go far to get water. I doubt the trailer would survive a week long road trip over rough terrain with that much weight. I use it mainly for work. I can transport a 40 pound ladder and 30-40 pounds of tools no problem.

The blue jugs work well for car camping. I use mine with a small submersible pump. Wastes less water and I don't have to take the jug out of my vehicle every time I need to wash my hands.