View Single Post
Old 05-25-23, 11:10 AM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Saddle setback for dummies

I have a DYI monster-cross (MTB frame with drop bars), got it fitted by an LBS, I have no reason to doubt their expertise. But...

Basically, I was absolutely out of shape 6 months ago, the handle bars were raised a lot allowing me cycling in almost a hybrid bike position. Kind of pointless, but I could still drop to the lower parts and have fun. however I am more comfortable now to get lower into more aero position, so I I dropped them bars by ~5-7cm, probably still have extra 10cm to drop in the future without lowering it below the saddle line.

Anyway, this is where I am getting confused with the feeling of the saddle position:
  • If I pedal in upright position or even pedalling without holding the bars my body tells me to move the saddle forward
  • If I drop all the way down and work really hard to keep the speed, my body tells wants me to raise the saddle a bit while move it back
Why is that? Shall I ignore my body and set it as the bike fitter said or prioritize my feelings for the one of the two options above? I'm really confused.