View Single Post
Old 10-17-17, 07:08 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
absolutely, just be aware of the handlebar bag issue, with clamping or wire type attchment of mounts. I figure the weight saving of a cf vs alu cant be that much, compared to all the other stuff, but the main thing is to be aware of this aspect, and then you decide.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
i just looked up some carbon compact bars- fsa k force. They are only 50g lighter than the aluminum zipp service course sl bars, but over twice as expensive at $130 more than the zipps.

Thats 1.75oz costing $130.

I genuinely cant imagine caring that much about equipment weight ust to tour at such a financial cost.
I get it- lots of different ways to tour, but man i dont have the desire to buy ounces at that cost.
Originally Posted by djb
and 120g heavier than cowbell 3 (320g), which cost you yanks about 50 bucks, the cowbell 2 are about 70 maybe and weigh 280g.

these cf bars weigh 201g and cost $313 can. I bought my cowbell 3's at about 70bucks can. so I would have nearly 250 dollars can. to put towards a really light tent, or a really light sleeping bag , or whatever, that will save a heck of a lot more weight.

or simply to buy a nice seat bag, bikepacking style, or a handlebar bag, or a handlebar roll container type system....

as always, its about balancing money to value to what you get for what you want to do.
These are all valid points, but when I asked why he wanted carbon I instead was thinking why would someone want something that is known for catastrophic failures. Touring bikes fall over, etc. That causes cracks that may go unnoticed until it is too late. I want stuff that I will trust to stay in one piece.

I am not sure what a sock is in reference to the comment on a banned former member. What is a sock?