View Single Post
Old 03-07-22, 08:39 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 110 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1371:

Last week I missed a few days of work due to a bad cold. I lounged around a good chunk of the weekend trying to recover. This morning I awoke still under the Nyquil haze from the shot I took before bed last night. I metabolize that stuff really slow so if I take some it will be 14-16 hours before the effects fully wear off. As a result it felt like everything was moving in slow motion when I got out of bed. Had some vivid dreams, though.

12°F with a 12 mph headwind made for a -2°F wind chill. We had a storm come through on Saturday and drop 1/4" of ice with 2" of snow on top of it. The city deemed it not plow-worthy, so by this morning the roads were an icy rutted mess. I decided to take the fat bike as it seems to handle the rough terrain better than my mountain bike with studs. The studded tires seem to handle sheet ice better. In any event, I kept the bike upright and arrived without incident.

Given our overall lack of snow I really haven't ridden the fat bike a whole lot this winter, which frankly I don't mind. I've come to the realization that I really don't care for the fat bike. It's just super slow and a lot of work. Today I averaged about 7 mph. On a good day without snow and with a tailwind I maybe top out at a 10 mph average. By the time I get to/home from work I'm pretty exhausted. I have friends that love any opportunity to ride their fat bikes, and will even ride them on nice summer days on dry pavement. For whatever reason, it's just not my thing. I guess I'm just lazy.