View Single Post
Old 03-23-22, 11:50 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
In recent years we have turned to having individuals offer rides and state where they intended to go and how they intend to ride. Unlike you, I will do group rides but I much prefer riding solo or small groups of select friends. Those rides allow me to ride at my pace and in a manner that suits me.
I have published routes and designated ride pace several times on the club message board. I rarely get replies to any ride during the week, or with 'piggyback' rides. I guess I should be thankful that my neighbor also rides at my pace, but he's only available on weekends.

Originally Posted by rydabent
Anyone in our bike club can call for an lead a ride at any speed they want to name. Try doing that yourself. You might be amazed at how many show up.
BTW label it a NO DROP ride, and make sure that is abided by.
See my comment above. BTW, when I lead a "no drop" ride, it means that the ride maintains the pace of the slowest rider, as long as they maintain the minimum posted speed. Too many rides advertised as "no drop" actually turn out to be "we'll drop you and make you ride alone until you catch up to us at the next turn, where we have all been waiting and resting, and as soon as you finally arrive, we'll give the 'let's roll' command and drop you all over again." On one ride, where there were three riders (including myself), I had posted the average pace would be 13.5-14.5 MPH. The slowest rider averaged 14.1 MPH, and I rode next to him the entire time, chatting. The third rider went off the front and later complained about how slow the ride was. I later saw on his Strava that he averaged almost 15 MPH.
Likes For Bald Paul: