View Single Post
Old 05-09-22, 07:24 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekCommuter
Ok, I'll play. This looks like too fun not to. Humbly submitted for your consideration is this 1997 (1998, 1999?) Jamis Quest complete with Shimano RSX components. Drive train is 3x7. I bought this on Craigslist last fall for trainer purposes and used it half-heartedly as such over the colder months. It is perhaps a hair small for me, but I bought it knowing this so my wife could use it on the trainer, as well. I paid $100.00.

It had a bulging tire, which was merely a tube doubled over on itself. I fixed that and added "new" bar tape off of an old set of trekking bars I had. I view this as being fully depreciated as no one would have bought the tape. I also had to spray the brifters liberally with WD-40 to get them to index again. Then, I "fixed" a cut in the rear derailleur cable tubing with electrical tape. Not elegant, but it works.

As I will be primarily commuting and recreational riding during my challenge, I took off the original 1990's Shimano SPD pedals (used but work great) and replaced them with a pair of parts bin highly worn Wellgo platform pedals from my wife's Trek 7.2 FX. In my mind, this is either a net wash or a slight deduction.

Here is my outlay assessment:

Bike purchase: $100

Bar tape (used, fully depreciated): $0

Electrical tape: $.25

WD-40: $.25

Wellgo pedal swap (perhaps -$10.00 as I took off Shimano SPD pedals)

Thus, I put my total investment at around $90.50. I hope the tires hold out - they are old 700x23 Vittorias - I am not used to such skinny tires! While this was never a high-end bike, I struggle to call it a complete clunker as it fairly responsive.

I've got 7.5 miles in today - I will try to uploads photos shortly.
I bought a Jamis Quest in 2011. It was discounted for the end of season, but still a lot more than $100. I like C&V bikes, but the Quest is my go-to for all day comfort.