View Single Post
Old 02-28-13, 11:54 AM
SpasticSprocket

Bikes: 2011 Trek 3900, 1985 Cannondale ST-500, 2017 Haro Shift R5, 2018 Specialized Crux E5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shepherdsflock
If I really felt I needed three wheels instead of two, I'd just get a conventional recumbent trike and spend a little money on rain gear (if I didn't already have rain gear). It would be FAR cheaper and the conventional recumbent trike would be a lot less work to commute with. Additionally, since I don't feel the need for three wheels, I can just ride my bike, which I hang on a hook on the wall of my garage when not in use. The bike only protrudes from the wall the width of the handle bars. Try that with that big behemoth.
Yeah for commuters like us that's great, but for people who typically drive their cars around and are tired of paying so much for gas, or just want a greener commuting option, this would be a really good alternative. It's an easier transition than switching to a full bicycle, and it's cheaper than the typical used car (around $5,000-$10,000 for a good used car). I can see where the appeal is, and since I live somewhere where it could rain mid commute without warning (which it has done) This would be a neat alternative to constantly having to carry a lot of stuff in a messenger bag and getting all sweaty. I will agree that the average bike commuter, who's used to dealing with the elements, is definitely not a target audience, but for drivers who can afford it, and are looking to save money this could be a good alternative, and one that eventually pays for itself.