Old 10-27-20, 02:49 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Yes, Clement Del Mondo tires have latex tubes. 20lbs in one day is fairly typical. Latex tubes are basically party balloons. As I said before, it is possible to replace them, but I wouldn't bother in this case. The latex on the sidewalls still looks good, which indicates to me that the inner tubes are also likely in good shape. Even so, I would strongly recommend avoiding 100kph descents with these... New wheels for everyday riding would be pragmatic. Even for casual celebratory rides, regluing them is a good idea. There's probably some crispy dried out Clement red glue under there. Or did Masi use something else? repechage?

Being nerdy, I checked the angles with pixelstick app. Using the floor/wall line as reference, it looks like approximately .25 degree slope averaging the two pics. There's a slight optical illusion caused by the sloping floor. Trig says that comes out to about 2.5mm rise, which is pretty minor. Of course there is the usual photo distortion etc, and you can't really tell without measuring physically.

It does look like more than standard fork rake, therefore lowish trail. I'd suspect this was more for toe clearance than tweaking handling characteristics.

The forks were brazed together with the legs straight.
Then placed in a bending fixture, it hooked the tips and with a cheater bar about 1 meter long slid down the steerer, the fork was bent over the fixture.
Brian Baylis noted that Falerio would complete the procedure then crank it a bit more, adding a few degrees extra about the crown. Note on this bike the legs at the top are not parallel with the head tube.
This extra can add 5-10 mm extra offset or rake, Reference a trail calculator and you will find that adding rake will reduce trail.
Now, there are two factors modifying the trail, quite a mess from one perspective.
This seems to dissipate on the larger frames, the lower head lug does not seem to be jigged in error to the same degree.