View Single Post
Old 01-09-22, 12:04 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by mjcambron
Hi Steve, I came across your post and it motivated me to join bikeforums this evening. I'm also from Peoria. I worked at Competition Cycles on Main Street during my Bergan HS years in the mid 1970's. I started racing as an intermediate and first met Michael Fatka at a race in Davenport (or one of the quad cities), in the early days of Skunk River Cyclist. It was because of Michael I decided to attend Iowa State to study engineering, rather than U of I. I worked at Michael's from 1978 - 1981. Michael wanted me to continue racing but my parents were very clear that I was in Ames to get an education, not race bicycles. I have intense respect for Michael. He was very supportive of me on many levels. He helped me secure my first order of 531 tubing when I took up frame building and he was equally supportive when both my parents died (father in '79, mom in '82). Seeing that old Michaels Cyclery sweatshirt really brings back some great memories. Thanks for posting.
good to hear from you, and glad to hear about your time with Mike Fatka and his shop! I grew up a bit north of the Quad Cities, but didn't really appreciate what was going on in the race world.
I think Mike gave you good advice in regards to ISU being preferable to U of I as far as engineering. His shop was something of a mecca for cyclists, and I wish someone had taken a bunch of photos of it. I just recall the huge photo of Jeff Bradley on the wall when I came into the store. I don't think the shop really let people know just how impressive the SRC racing team was. I didn't figure it out until seeing the Iron Horse Classic race... but I didn't follow the bike racing magazines either.

Raleigh and Micheal's Cyclery have left their marks on me, which is probably why I still have that sweatshirt. In fact, around that time, a friend made a small stained glass item for me that was modeled on the Raleigh logo on the sweatshirt.
This is the sweatshirt:

I've been improving a backlight for the stained glass (which I made about 10 years ago), so it currently looks like this:

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy: