Old 03-05-23, 01:33 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Modern Cycling is Becoming Much More Hazardous!!!

~~In 2017, I was traveling about 30mph when a car bumped my bars and I wiped out. I was out of commission for 6 months. Indeed, it was a hit & run,
but I really don't think the driver even knew they hit me as they were probably occupied by their smartphone. Since then, my riding strategy has changed dramatically.

~~One summer night last August, I was traveling eastbound in the designated bike lane (with front and rear lights "on"), turning right/southbound into a designated bike lane where
I avoided A HEAD-ON COLLISION WITH AN ELECTRIC SCOOTER GOING THE WRONG WAY WITH NO LIGHTS ON! I was fortunate that there was no automobile traffic at the time.

I have since contacted the city transportation department about better enforcement and stiffer penalties for selfish idiots who have no regard for others.

Times have changed and so have humans. Modern “smartphone culture” has created a new breed of driver who is too easily distracted by the world at their fingertips every waking minute of the day.

New battery technology has created noiseless cars, and spawned a new breed of electric locomotion; electric bicycles, scooters, and skateboards.
Moreover, they’re adding a new breed of traveler to our already crowded roads.

Many of these new “travelers” are unskilled, or ignorant of the rules of the road and the safety of others, or all of the above.

Regardless, all of these things make it extremely hazardous for everybody who shares the road.
Likes For michaelm101: