Old 02-22-22, 05:18 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4443 Post(s)
Liked 4,896 Times in 3,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
From: Why Porsche Gave the Taycan Enormous Brakes (roadandtrack.com):

Porsche engineers assume that drivers of the new Taycan electric sedan will accomplish around 90 percent of their braking via regen.

Rather than change its braking performance standards for the Taycan, Porsche solved the problem by fitting those enormous brake rotors and ten-piston calipers. It seems a little funny given that, in normal daily driving, those giant brakes might almost never be activated, thanks to the car's regen capabilities.

From:We Evaluate Porsche Taycan's Unique Regenerative Braking System (insideevs.com)

Porsche wanted to do two things when they were designing the Taycan's regenerative braking system.

First, they wanted to recuperate as much energy as possible, and they believe they achieved that goal. Porsche engineers have said that as much as 90% of the Taycan's braking will, on average, be achieved through regenerative braking. The Taycan is capable of generating up to 265 kW into the battery pack.

That's accomplished by adding the front motor's 175 kW regeneration capability, and the 90 kW recuperated by the rear motor. To put the Taycan's 265 kW regenerative braking potential into perspective, the Tesla Model 3 can generate a maximum of 77 kW, less than 1/3 of what the Taycan is capable of pumping back into the battery.

I'll limit my comments to the car that I drive daily. So, not an exaggeration as far as the Taycan is concerned.
Fair enough, but the Taycan's system is not typical of most EVs as your previous post suggested. For example I drive Teslas and the regen braking is software limited to about 50-60 kW and ramped in progressively. So you still use mainly friction brakes when stopping from higher speeds.