View Single Post
Old 07-29-21, 05:57 AM
Lady82

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BiciMan
I own a 2013 Sirrus, Lady, and while Marin enjoys a good reputation, I don't value the change as worthwhile, BUT, a big reason is a personal aesthetic bias about hydraulic brakes on road or road-like hybrids such as our Sirrus/Vita bikes. I love my 2013 Sirrus too. I would only upgrade to a carbon Sirrus, but I regularly search ebay for "older" rim-brake models. I have bikes with hydraulics and recognize their superiority, but their marginal superiority compared to modern/quality rim brakes and rims is not worth it to me, given the weather I ride in and the kind of riding I do on my Domane and Sirrus bikes. Maybe if I commuted in the rain or snow often... maybe. Looking at your Vita and this Marin, the brakes are the only advantage I see, and I share your doubt, and have NO confidence that the proprietary components on this 2021 would be of better quality than our 2013s'. I will note that my Sirrus Pro was a next-to-top of the line Sirrus in 2013, so it was very nicely equipped; but, if you have a carbon fork, you probably also have a higher level Vita. On balance, and my aesthetic bias aside, I'd keep lovin' the one you're with until a more better/worthy option comes around. Meanwhile, enjoy your Liv's brakes and your Vita's greatness.
I am very sorry for replying so late to your very meaningful and very informative post. I had notifications off and just read it now.
I ended up keeping my Vita. You are correct that it is a higher component Vita Elite.
I went and checked Marin out. It was a nice bike, fit well, but I did not feel it was something I wanted to upgrade to, or, rather did not feel the bike was an upgrade in itself. I really did not like the curved slope of the frame. The brakes were terrible. I know brakes take a bit to bed, but compared to the brakes on my Liv they were terrible. Overall, the bike just did not feel right. And, I guess, it is in the end all about that feel.