Old 04-25-21, 08:50 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Do you use an 18t ring gear in your old DT240s? The new 240EXP hubs come with a 36t ring gear, which likely caused the difference.
I have a number of wheels with 240S hubs in them with a variety of different ratchets. While there is some difference in noise, it’s not huge between the ratchets but the quality of the noise is different.

I was looking into a building another couple of sets of wheels using 240’s so I looked into the 240 EXPs and played with some wheels with them. They are clearly noisier than the 240S where which is unfortunate.

With the old 240’s you could all but make them silent with a liberal application of the DT grease although it was with increased drag and only for a few hundred miles before the grease moved around. Supposedly it’s similar with the 240EXPs.

Seems like all the hubs are getting noisier now. Maybe it all started with the distinctive “angry bee” Chris King sound or something. Me personally, I’d prefer just about silent hubs but that’s not in the cards,

I’ll likely go with the 240EXP’s just because I like the old 204’s so much, they’re super reliable, and they roll fast and smooth. The new EXPs are are supposedly more reliable and the roll even better although I presume much of that is marketing hype as opposed to actual difference.
Likes For JohnJ80: