View Single Post
Old 12-30-21, 06:53 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
I own a Montello from '86. I've ridden a lot of bikes, and the Montello is right up there with the very best. A great bike for long rides; not a touring bike, this was probably designed for classics and stage races.

I also volunteer at a big-city bike Co-op, so I've seen and worked on hundreds of steel-framed bikes. The Montello is the best workmanship I've ever seen on a lugged steel bike.

Value: this should return you about as much as is possible for a vintage steel bike, except for rare historical bikes, such as those raced by Coppi or Merckx. Condition looks good, and the size is in the desirable range.

Components: always photograph the bike from the drive side, and take separate pics highlighting the major components. The gruppo looks to be early C-Record. The crankset is worth a fair amount of money. The Delta brakes have a lot of resale value if they are Record, and much less if CdA. However, the brakes, are a major pain to set up, are heavy, and they don't brake that well. The Campagnolo Synchro (1) shifters had the nickname Stinkro for good reason: the indexing on these was hopeless. Nevertheless, some collectors like this stuff. Me personally, I kept the frame, the wheels and the crankset, and replaced everything else with Ergopower gear from the mid-90's. Been riding it since.

Summary: you have something high value here, both to riders and collectors. Take lots of high quality photos, and advertise widely, including Ebay.
Likes For Dave Mayer: