Old 01-22-22, 01:29 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Generally, "reaching out" should mean in person. Sending texts or emails can be routinely ignored. Most businesses are short handed, so don't have the time to deal with emails or texts.

Priced at $500, maybe $600 max, you really are only going to get someone who wants a Rodriguez. As a pure touring bike, it has a few limitations, #1 being the side pull caliper brakes instead of cantilever brakes. Not sure how long the seat stays are either. Wheels are nothing special. Its redeeming feature is that it is a Rodriguez. That makes it special. And it is going to need full maintenance, not just a simple tune up.

As far as how smooth the bottom bracket spins, I have learned they pretty much ALL need service at this age. Might be smooth spinning, but grease could be mud. Last "smooth spinner" I opened up was just this, mud, mud, mud. I find grease either dries out and gets hard, or gets water in it and turns to mud. TA cranksets require a unique puller, many shops no longer have. This can lead to deferred maintenance. If a seller told me they had been maintaining it themselves, I'd ask them to include the puller. If they don't have the puller, then it has not been maintained (by them at least). If they do have the puller, thats great as they likely won't need it once they sell the bike.

Objective or not, the only person that will pay a premium price is someone who appreciates Rodriguez. "Objective of sale is get the bike into the hands of a rider that will appreciate an early Rodriguez. " You can't guarantee who gets it. I've sold pristine, fully refurbished bikes that buyers immediately stripped. Its how it goes.
I have a different option about the desirability of cantilever brakes. If I was using 700C X 32 tires, I strongly prefer 47/57 side pull brakes like this one has. Of course I live in the flattish midwest. YMMV. They have set the rear brake bridge so there is plenty of room for 32s and a fender under the brake. That is a beautifully built frame and worth at least $500 for the frame alone throwing away or parting out all the other components. In fact those components date the bike and might decrease the value of the frame.