View Single Post
Old 09-19-18, 07:56 AM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I've been very fortunate, I've had mechanicals without the right tools but always been able to walk home or get a ride. I have a lot of stories about long walks (like the freehub froze in sub-zero weather) or getting a ride (over-confident riding 140 miles after the flu). But I've never felt stranded.
Last winter's tubeless fail in a blizzard might be the worst, it'd been 3+ miles of walking in nearly 2 feet for fresh snow to get home, but my personal AAA made the drive to get my dumb butt.

I do a lot of miles in very remote areas on gravel grinders, I've been very fortunate that I've never had an issue in these rural areas [/knocking on wood]. My close to home fails and seeing others fails have taught me a lot about what I really need to have with me.

BTW - 'getting stranded' in the right place can workout well (flatted front with a tire that needed to be thrown away, bead was puncturing tubes - I was stubborn and tried to fix it before the ride)
Maybe "stranded" wasn't the right word. Obviously, we have all made it home! I guess what I meant was "unable to ride home and needed help." I only ever needed a lift once, but I was on a supported training ride with a sag wagon. My RD got caught in my rear wheel (not pretty) and I had no choice but to toss the bike in the van. My only other major mechanical was in a race. It was another busted wheel.... but I had a spare in the wheel truck. Out on my own solo rides, I have only ever flatted and, except for the time I mentioned above when I had no pump or CO2 dispense, I have always just fixed my flats and been back on the road in no time.

I have had to rescue my SO who doesn't carry a patch kit and only ever has one spare tube.... sometimes he is too embarrassed to call for help and I find out later how far he had to walk home :-)